Clocking Out

Where to begin? I should be reading my book. But no, I had a piece of salmon, some wine, and fell asleep watching True Detective.

Now I’m awake and looking at my 3 AM wake-up time like “Ugh.”

I just have to get through the next month and then my schedule at my job will change. I know this, but it doesn’t make the present much easier. I would much rather not be falling asleep at random times in seemingly random places.

A friend suggested that I might have narcolepsy. And due to my sleep paralysis experiences in college and beyond, I tend to believe that it’s possible. It is also possible that my schedule is at such odds with my body clock that the good old body clock is putting me in my place.

It also doesn’t help that even when the kid isn’t here telling me that her left toe hurts at midnight, the cat is waking me up by settling down across my neck and putting her paws on my face at 2:30 in the morning.

Those folks at Winco sure are not a friendly bunch at 3:30 in the morning. But if I had to work nights like that I wouldn’t be, either. At least I got the bulk of my errand running done before the birds were up. After that, I did go back to sleep for about four hours.

And I just took a two-hour nap, which leads me to believe that I won’t sleep well tonight. How I wish we could just stock up on sleep instead of needing it on a regular basis. That would make life so much easier.

So the next order of business is to see some sort of sleep specialist. I know I will need referrals. I also know that scheduling this will be tricky with a crazy early morning schedule and split days off.

I also know, from the kiddo’s eyewitness and ear-witness testimony, that I snore. I also have terrible allergies. Which leads me to believe there might be some sort of sleep apnea issue going on. It would definitely be worth exploring.

But first, I have to get through tonight and the next day. I am experimenting with taking my mood stabilizer in the morning instead of at night because when I take my doses together, it seems to prohibit me from waking up fully in the morning.

And the heart palpitations? They were definitely from an excess of caffeine, my usual crutch to keep me awake. I have reduced my intake but it is creeping back up slowly. So I won’t have to spend money on a cardiologist now and I assume I am free to exercise at will.

Oh, my. I am looking at the time just knowing that tomorrow is going to be rough.

Sundays are usually rough for me just because I don’t get a full weekend. And I have a road trip to Burley on Monday to retrieve my girl, which is both a good and a bad thing. Good because I miss her terribly, bad because it will mess with my sleep schedule even more.

For now, I’m going to sign off and attempt to be productive for a while before I try to go to sleep again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s